Phoenix House of Texas launches IMPACT After School Program in Dallas this fall. IMPACT provides a safe, supervised after-school environment. Participants include students from Cary Middle School and/or Thomas Jefferson High School in grades 7, 8, and 9. The program will be housed at the Walnut Hill Recreation Center, within walking distance from the above mentioned schools.
IMPACT is specifically designed to work with students who have recently exhibited some negative behaviors and may be nearing a tipping point of more serious behaviors, and who would benefit from a structured intervention program.
IMPACT helps provide support for students to achieve academic success and builds core skills they can use throughout their life. It is a fun, energetic environment that motivates teens to participate. Key program components include:
- Snacks and drinks to hold students over until dinner; provided by Phoenix House;
- Homework assistance; provided by teachers from Cary and Thomas Jefferson;
- Sports and recreation building stronger bodies and core social skills; provided by Dallas Parks and Recreation;
- Mentoring; provided by Big Brothers and Big Sisters;
- Life skills training to teach pro-social values and coping skills; provided by Phoenix House and others;
- Family Dynamics; provided by Phoenix House and others
- Peer support groups for students; provided by Association of Persons Affected by Addiction; and
- Outpatient substance abuse counseling for students; provided by Phoenix House
The after school program will begin immediately following school hours, 3:45pm until 7:30pm, Monday through Friday on schools days and is specifically designed for students who would benefit from a fun and supervised after-school program.
Phoenix House’s IMPACT program will address many of the issues relevant to teens and will increase academic achievement and overall improve positive behaviors.