On Sunday, September 28, Phoenix House is proud to sponsor the FED UP! Rally for a Federal Response to the Opioid Epidemic in Washington, D.C. The mission of The FED UP! Coalition is to create one voice calling for an end to the epidemic of addiction and overdose deaths attributed to opioids, a class of drugs that includes heroin and prescription painkillers.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, we are in the midst of the worst drug epidemic in U.S. history. Opioid addiction has a catastrophic impact on families and communities and places tremendous strain on our health care system, businesses, and local and state governments.
Concerned citizens, organizations, and institutions nationwide are now demanding action on this issue. These are some of the reasons why:
- 52 million people over the age of 12 have used prescription drugs non-medically in their lifetime.
- More Americans now die from drug overdoses than in car accidents
- Every day in the United States, 2,500 youth abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time
- Every 15 minutes someone dies from a drug overdose in the U.S.
- The United States is only 5% the world’s population, yet consumes 75% of the world’s prescription drugs
- Roughly 23 million Americans in 2012 needed treatment for addiction, but only 10% received it.
We are proud to join the FED UP! Coalition in raising awareness about this critical issue. Please join us for the Rally:
WHEN: September 28th, 2014
WHERE: Sylvan Theater, Washington Monument Grounds, Washington, D.C.
12:00 PM – music by Clean Getaway
1:00 PM – FED UP! Rally followed by a march to the White House
HOW: To register, visit: www.feduprally.org
To join the conversation and follow the event on Twitter, search the hashtag #fedup14 and include the hashtag in any of your own tweets about the rally.
Since 1962, Phoenix House Mid‐Atlantic has served more than 30,000 individuals struggling with substance abuse. Every day, Phoenix House Mid‐Atlantic helps hundreds of people who are suffering from addiction in programs in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. Call us today at: 1 888-671-9392 to learn more.