Ashley, a teenager at the Girls Recovery Lodge in Arlington,VA, has come a long way in the past few months. A frequent user of bath salts, Ashley woke up one morning last year in a car, shoeless, disoriented, and freezing from the blustery winter weather. Ashley was high on bath salts then – a moment of desperation and panic that has become ingrained in her memory. Now on the road to recovery, Ashley was brave enough to share her story with Voice of America (VOA), a national broadcast institution that reaches up to 120 million people globally. In the two-part segment, Ashley describes the paranoia and prolonged high that is associated with this new synthetic drug. Oftentimes, these paranoid feelings and intense high can also be accompanied by toxic and potentially dangerous bodily reactions. During the VOA segment, Dr. Paul Stromberg, of the Virginia Poison Center, addressed the rapid increase of bath salt use. In 2008, the state poison control center did not receive any emergency calls associated with bath salt use. However, in 2011 alone, the number of calls the center received jumped to 6,000. Obviously, with this exponential rise in use, bath salt use prevention is becoming a paramount concern.
Luckily, there are numerous Phoenix House programs designed to help clients like Ashley recover. At the Girls Recovery Lodge, program participants are able to live and attend school in a sober environment, sharing their stories with others who have similar experiences. Please check out the VOA two-part story by visiting the following links:
PART 1 (Phoenix House featured): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlKu6fukVU
PART 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7D0Qb8UQM
Thank you to Ashley for your brave honesty. You, like the other courageous people who publicly share successful recovery stories, indeed, have the power to help others!